Sunday, December 30, 2012

Warm Tummy Pumpkin Soup

  Hello! I had these pumpkins from my garden and had not done much with them except have them around to look festive. I love you pumpkins but now I must eat you! I tried my best to recall a recipe I have used one winter season but could not remember it all. I then just decided to improvise and this is what came to fruition.

 

Specific Tools: micro plane and a blender.

 

Ingredients:

 

2 tblsp vegetable margin

I ½ cups pumpkin

1 garlic clove

¼ onion (white)

1 tsp ginger

2 celery stalks

dash of oregano

¼ tsp basil

dash of nutmeg

½ tsp thyme

dash of cumin

2 cloves

dash of paperika

2 ½ cups of rice milk

salt  & pepper to taste

 

Directions:

 
    Boil water in a medium size pot.
    Prepare pumpkins by removing the stem, cut in half, removing the seeds and membrane out with a spoon (saving the seeds for later). Cut the pumpkin into pieces small enough to fit snugly in the pot.
Place in boiling water approximately 1 hr until the pumpkin is boiled through making it soft.


 In a sauce pan on medium heat add margarine and place onion, celery, and garlic.
 

Micro plane in ginger, stir, then cover half way and set on low heat until translucent.

 
 


    Stir the herb and spices into the saucepan. Turn the heat up to high and pour in ½ cup of the rice milk, stirring frequently until it has reduced by half. Set aside.
 
                                                         Squeeze out excess water.
 

 Place the pumpkin, remaining rice milk, and milk reduction in a blender for a puree.
 

Return to a saucepan for a minute, stirring on low. Remove from heat.

 
 
     The soup is now ready to serve. Garnish with sprig of Rosemary.
      I find the winter brings out a necessity to be warm. I feel this soup has the potential to warm in a seasonal way. Something reminiscent of wearing a very festive sweater while reading a book in front of a fire place as the cat is curled up by ones toes. Meow.
  Thank you very much!
  Eric M. Rangel

No comments:

Post a Comment